Friday, March 14, 2008

Through some pre-spring-break, end-of-the-day-procrastinating, ego-inflating Googling, I just found out that my first book, Telegraph Messenger Boys (2002), was (mostly) favorably reviewed in the November 2007 issue of the Journal of Urban History. Glad to know people are still reading it! (And fortunately it's still in print ...) I was glad to get a nice review from the author, Harold L. Platt, whose 1991 book The Electric City was itself one of the exemplars I looked to during my own graduate education. But in a weird way I'm maybe more proud to see my book appear on the Google listing for the "STS wiki" under the "social construction of technology" entry as an example of (presumably useful) research adopting this broad approach. Don't know which random wiki author threw my book into the mix, but thanks, that's nice.