Saturday, May 31, 2008

I've been at the Charles Babbage Institute in Minneapolis for the last few days, attending a very useful workshop on "History | Gender | Computing". I presented some very tentative work on the connections between librarianship, second-wave feminism, and library computerization (MARC, OCLC, OPACs) from the 1960s to the 1980s, and I was encouraged by the engaged and critical response of the other participants and the audience. Tom Misa, Jeffrey Yost and the rest of the CBI staff did a great job at pulling this mini-conference together (and getting it funded). It's especially nice to be back in Twin Cities for a few days, as I lived here for a year while on a postdoc in the University of Minnesota Department of Geography in 2000-2001. Sadly, I won't have time to visit the Lego store, though I think I found a nice comic book shop on the way to the light rail station. If only I had my bicycle with me ...